To develop and test self-contained waste treatment systems in India and South Africa with a focus on transitioning these technologies to field-ready prototypes
- The RTI team will work with local manufacturers and in-country partners to deploy prototypes to multiple demonstration sites and standardize testing. There will be an emphasis on locally sourced manufacturers, replacement parts and services.
- The engineering team will continue to address critical performance priorities that will enable the products to address different markets and enhance performance.
- The team will also test and evaluate prototypes in multiple market platforms guided by local commercial and stakeholder needs.
- Gender-informed design has been critical to accelerating development and user acceptance and will be a key element in prototype design and testing.
- Technical performance and performance testing will become standardized and more rigorous with an emphasis on component and system-level reliability.
To cultivate prototyping and commercialization partnerships in India and South Africa with a focus on transitioning RTT technologies into commercializable products.
Research partners: RTI (lead), CEPT University
Asia & Pacific Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Fundamental research and engineering India Market development North America Product design and engineering Resource recovery South Africa Specific to one or several countries Sub-Saharan Africa Toilets or urinals (user interface) Treatment of faecal sludge United States University, education or research institution
Share this page on