Working Group 2 showcases best practices and promotes uptake of rigorous market assessment and programming, including financing for sustainable sanitation service delivery.
Background: Why focus on market development?
Developing sanitation markets increases access to sanitation products, maintenance, and services. Sanitation marketing is inclusive: increasing demand and supply for products and services through promotional campaigns and behavior change communications aimed at consumer preference.
Market-based programs strengthen supply chains and demand for sanitation, and fix market system failures to provide the poor with quality sanitation they want and can afford. Market development interventions include:
- partnerships with public and private sector service providers,
- activation of market actors involved in sanitation supply chains,
- user centered product and service design, and
- testing business models.
Market development also demands government leadership: working with government agencies and regulatory authorities to support sanitation.
Assessing the market system includes: who its failing, its players, its breadth and depth, the consumer experience, and its performance. Because addressing systems failures is complex, interventions focus on collective impact and a sustainability vision of who will perform and who will pay for key market functions in the future.
read more …
Ways to Get Involved
We welcome new and existing SuSanA members to become part of the Working Group. We want this Working Group to provide the basis for a collaborative learning experience to change business as usual and form a community of practice that will actively contribute toward the sanitation targets of the Sustainable Development Goal. As a Working Group member, you will have the opportunity to participate and potentially lead on Working Group activities, webinars and thematic discussions.
The Working Group’s activities focus on producing examples of market development best practices in all areas of market development, including finance.
There are various ways to get involved which include.
- Share your experiences through the mailing list, discussion forum or by uploading your projects to the project database.
- Organize learning events such as webinars or thematic discussions.
- Upload key documents so we can continue to expand the SuSanA library.
- Join the Wikipedia editing team to help improve relevant articles.
- Promote Working Group 2 among your networks and within other working groups and engage with other members.
- Produce publications with other Working Group members.
show less …
Working Group Leads
WaterAid, United Kingdom
PSI, United States of America