Below is a list of commonly used abbreviations in the sanitation sector. A full list of sanitation-related abbreviations can be found in Wikipedia here. Anyone is welcome to add to the list as anyone can edit Wikipedia.
- BMGF - Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- CLTS - Community-led total sanitation
- DEWATS - Decentralised Wastewater Treatment System
- FSM - Faecal sludge management
- MDG - Millennium Development Goal
- MENA - Middle East and North Africa
- MHM - Menstrual hygiene management
- NGO - Non-governmental organization
- ODF - Open defecation free
- SDGs - Sustainable Development Goals
- SDG6 - Sustainable Development Goal Number 6
- UDDT - Urine-diverting dry toilet
- WASH - Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
For technical terms of the sanitation system we recommend that you consult the glossary of the Eawag-Sandec "Compendium of Sanitation Systems and Technologies".