|SuSanA news mail (May 2010)|
This text has been sent to SuSanA partner organisations, working group members and mailing list subscribers per mail in May:
Dear SuSanA partners and members,
This mail contains information on the following five topics and is sent out to the 1,406 subscribers of the SuSanA mailing list (roughly on a monthly basis):
1. New video footage on sustainable sanitation projects
2. Twelve new case studies from ROSA project in East Africa (EU-funded)
3. Next SuSanA meeting during the World Water Week in Stockholm this September
4. Join SuSanA on facebook and become fan number 373!
5. Recent entries and improvements on SuSanA website
>>click here to download this mail as pdf dokumet
1. New video footage on sustainable sanitation projectsThere are new video clips about sustainable sanitation projects on the video section of the SuSanA website (http://www.susana.org/lang-en/videos-and-photos/videos) and on the youtube channel of SuSanA (http://www.youtube.com/user/susanavideos).
For example, see the video on the longest toilet queue with the participants of the11th SuSanA meeting in Rio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6yryzXqIfE) emphasising the importance of sanitation in the water sector on World Water Day. A biogas sanitation project in Kenya is introduced in this video: http://www.youtube.com/user/susanavideos#p/a/u/0/XrhbwhigYCk.
If your organisation has produced video clips on sustainable sanitation issues, please bring them to our attention so that we can link to them from the SuSanA video section. We can also help you in uploading your videos to Youtube. For future SuSanA meetings, we aim to have edited video footage available after each meeting.
2. Twelve new case studies from ROSA project in East Africa (EU-funded)The colleagues of the ROSA project have written 12 new case studies (each around 6 pages long) from pilot projects in four East African countries (available here: http://www.susana.org/lang-en/case-studies/region/ssa): Ethiopia (Arborloo for household sanitation, Fossa Alterna for households, Greywater tower, UDDT for Agafari’s household, UDDT at Nelson Mandela school), Kenya ( UDDT at residential plot, UDDT and greywater treatment at secondary school, UDDT at church and nursery school), Uganda (Composting at households, Greywater tower gardens at household level) and Tanzania (UDDTs at households, UDDTs for a primary school).
4. Join SuSanA on facebook and become fan number 373!The SuSanA now has a fan page on facebook, see here:
We aim to have a status update/posting on the SuSanA facebook page about once every second day. We also encourage you to leave comments on the postings. If you have concerns about SuSanA being active on facebook, please let us know.
5. Recent entries and improvements on SuSanA websiteWe have received a number of new technical drawings from partners and other sources. To improve user friendliness the respective section of -design and teaching tools- has been improved. A new sub-section was also included called -design guidelines- that shall contain various construction and design manuals for toilets, waste treatment systems and reuse. With regard to manuals it is notable to mention the new -UDDT Construction Manual- from ESP in India and the new -Technical Guide to Ecosan Promotion- from the EU-SIDA-GTZ EcoSan Promotion Project in Kenya, available under
Christian Rieck and Elisabeth von Muench
on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat