Data Collection Tools - MajiData
Baseline Study Survey for development of a database on low income urban areas in Kenya
MajiData is a database for water and sanitation information of low income urban areas that was officially launched in 2011. It is part of the H2.0 Initiative and receives financial support from UN-Habitat, Google.org, WSTF, KfW and GIZ. More information on MajiData can be found on www.majidata.go.ke.
The data for MajiData orginates from a baseline survey study in all Kenyan low income settlements of Kenya on the basis of data collection tools that were developed and implemented by GFA Consulting Group (www.gfa-group.de) and financed by GIZ. The collection of data was carried out by GFA and specially trained data collection teams between 2009 and 2011 together with Water Sector stakeholders (WSBs and WSPs), with the provincial administration, the local authorities and residents. For example, the Water Services Boards (WSBs) and Water Service Providers (WSPs) participated in the establishment of the lists of low income areas. The providers and authorities were also involved in the actual collection of area data (e.g. the dwellings count) and the organisation of Group Discussions. In almost all towns and areas the MajiData team was able to count on the enthusiastic participation of the Boards, providers, authorities and residents. The collected data was encoded into an online database and is no visualised in a google maps based interactive webpage available on www.majidata.go.ke.
Content of Data Collection Tools:
- Cover MajiData Data Collection Tools
- Data Collection Tool 1 Reconnaisance Sheet
- Data Collection Tool 2 Area Recording Sheet
- Data Collection Tool 3A Plot counts Sheet, Area Level (revised)
- Data Collection Tool 3B Final Dwelling Counts (revised)
- Data Collection Tool 4 Dwelling Level Data (revised, July 2009)
- Data Collection Tool 5 Area Level Data
- Area Profile Sheet (revised)
- Data Collection Tool 6 GPS Data
- Data Collection Tool 7 Picture Sheet
- MajiData Appointment Sheet
- MajiData Contact Sheet
- Participants List
- Recording Allowances Paid
Water Services Trust Fund (WSTF), Kenya
visualisation, georeference, GPS, sanitation facilities, population, housing
WSTF (2009). Data Collection Tools - MajiData - Baseline Study Survey for development of a database on low income urban areas in Kenya. Water Services Trust Fund (WSTF), Kenya.