For more information, please visit the discussion on the SuSanA Forum here.
Urban Sanitation Finance - From Macro to Micro Level
0. Synthesis of the Discussion
The synthesis document of the discussion "Urban Sanitation Finance - From Macro to Micro Level" is now available here
1. Thematic Experts
- Catarina Fonseca (Senior Programme Officer and Head of the International and Innovative Programme, IRC)
- Guy Norman (Head of Evaluation, Research and Learning at Water&Sanitation for the Urban Poor, WSUP)
- Sophie Trémolet (Director of Trémolet Consulting)
- Goufrane Mansour (Consultant at Trémolet Consulting)
- Antoinette Kome (Global Sector Coordinator for WASH at Netherlands Development Organisation, SNV)
- Kumi Abeysuriya (Senior Research Consultant of the Institute for Sustainable Futures, University of Technology, Sydney)
- Public finance at national level: Public finance at national level for what? What are current levels of Public Finance at national level for urban sanitation? How to lobby and advocate for greater transparency and monitoring of national expenditure for sanitation? (Catarina Fonseca)
- Public finance at local level: Local taxation is the key, true or false? (Guy Norman)
- Finance at household / small business level: How can households mobilise funding for investing in improved sanitation? Can microfinance play a role to support households for on-site sanitation, particularly in the urban sector? What are the specific financing needs for small and medium-sized sanitation businesses? (Goufrane Mansour/Sophie Trémolet)
City level sustainable cost recovery: how to bring together different financing mechanisms at city level (Antoinette Kome/Kumi Abeysuriya)
- How could local governments mobilise upfront lumpy finance?
- How could local governments ensure sustained finance for services?
4. Background Readings
Theme I: Public Finance:
- Norman G, Fonseca C & Trémolet S (2015): Domestic public finance for WASH: what, why, how?
- Norman G & Trémolet S (2015): Municipal finance for sanitation in African cities
- Evans, B., van der Voorden, C., Peal, A. (2009): Public Finance for Sanitation: The many faces of sanitation subsidies
- Trémolet, S., Mansour, G. (2015): Embedding Access to Finance into Sanitation Programmes: a Step-by-Step Approach
- Trémolet, S., Mansour, G., Muruka, G.(2015): Developing Microfinance for Sanitation in Tanzania
- Video: Trémolet Consulting (2015): Toilets on Credit (Tanzania)
Please read also:
- Trémolet, S., Kumar, R.T.V.S. (2013): Evaluating the potential of microfinance for sanitation in India
- Trémolet, S. (2012): Small-Scale Finance for Water and Sanitation
- Abeysuriya, K., Kome, A., Willetts, J., Chong, J. (2014): Financing Sanitation for Cities and Towns Learning Paper