To commemorate World Toilet Day 2022, the SuSanA Working Group on productive sanitation and food security and the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI), along with partners, organized a webinar about the role of standards and certification systems in the safe reuse of nutrients from sanitation systems.
The webinar was a success, and we would like to send a big thank you to all who attended and were involved! We would like to especially express our gratitude to all our speakers for their valuable contributions and insights into such an important and cutting edge technological development.
Globally, there is increasing interest in recovering nutrients from excreta and excreta-derived waste streams, as a way to reduce reliance on chemical fertilizers and increase sustainability in agro-food systems. However, concerns about health risks associated with reuse of excreta-derived fertilizers, in all their forms, persist. The use of standards and certification systems can help address some of these challenges related to the quality of excreta-derived fertilizers and the health risks related to their use, but many colleagues in the sector do not have an overview of the standards and certifications that exist or recent developments in the area.
The objective of this webinar, therefore, was to provide an overview of work being done at different levels on the development and use of standards and certifications for excreta-derived fertilizers and nutrient products. Through a series of brief presentations and a panel discussion, the key challenges and opportunities for the use of standards and certification in nutrient reuse were discussed, and participants in the webinar also had an opportunity for knowledge exchange and networking with colleagues working on these issues.
- Welcome and Introduction (SuSanA Secretariat, Daniel Ddiba)
- On experiences in the development of the Guide Standard for Treated Faecal Sludge Compost for Non-food Applications in India (Sunil Agarwal (Toilet Board Coalition))
- On the state-of-the-art of standards and certifications relating to products from black soldier fly biowaste processing (Moritz Gold (ETH Zurich/Sustainable Food Processing Lab))
- On the experience of WHO in the use and adoption of the 2006 Guidelines for the safe use of wastewater, excreta and greywater (Kate Medlicott (WHO))
- Panel discussion: Sunil Agarwal (Toilet Board Coalition), Kate Medlicott (WHO), Mei Yee Chan (TÜV SÜD/ISO-PC305), Nelson Ekane (SEI)
- Q&A with audience (Daniel Ddiba)
- Reflections and closing (SuSanA Secretariat, Daniel Ddiba
SuSanA Admin (susanaadmin)
Share this page on