Published in: 2012
Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA)
Spuhler, D., McCreary, C., Fogde, M., Jenssen, P. D.
This factsheet provides an overview on basic principles of capacity development and addresses current challenges and gaps in capacity development for sustainable sanitation, as well as possible strategies and instruments to address those. Furthermore it contains a list of examples and contact details of capacity development initiatives from the sector. The factsheet is intended for individuals who require or are engaged with capacity development for sustainable sanitation.
The key messages are:
· Capacity is knowledge, information, and attitude.
· Capacity development is the process of unleashing, strengthening, creating, adapting and maintaining capacity over time. It takes place on three levels: individual, organisational and enabling environment. An enabling environment encourages sustainable sanitation thinking and action at local and national levels, which is necessary for policy development.
· Capacity development for sustainable sanitation requires cross-sectoral cooperation with individuals and within organisations from health, infrastructure, water, environment, agriculture, education, economic development etc.
· It considers the complexity of sanitation systems along the sanitation chain (from the user interface, collection, treatment, reuse and safe disposal of sanitation products), considering all technical, financial, social and institutional aspects.
· It is an internal process of change led by communities and nations.
· It insists on knowledge sharing and management and involves development, transfer and use of both explicit and tacit (undocumented) knowledge.
· It includes a variety of methods: education, professional training, support for documentation of appropriate local infrastructure and sharing knowledge in print, online and multi-media.
Last updated: 30 April, 2012
Spuhler, D., McCreary, C., Fogde, M., Jenssen, P. D. (2012). Capacity development for sustainable sanitation - Factsheet of Working Group 1. Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA)
Capacity development (WG1) English Factsheets and policy briefs Publications by SuSanA Publications by SuSanA
Share this page on