Published in: 2022
CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
Chandpur is a fast-growing city located along the Dhaka- N1 and Gauripur - Kachua highway and 120 km South of Dhaka. It is beside the Dakatia and Meghna Rivers and it is well connected with road, water, and railways. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent and was declared a municipality in 1896 and a Pourashava in 1986. Chandpur is one of the 53 district-level municipalities in the country.
According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the population of Chandpur Municipality was 159,021. The urban population growth in Chandpur is 3.5% per year. Considering 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2020) population is estimated to be around 238,402.
The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty percent (20%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining eighty percent (80%) is classified as unsafely managed (Figure 1). The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (11%), Faecal Sludge (FS) both contained and not contained - not delivered to treatment (38%), FS not contained - not emptied (24%) and 7% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. Thus, the safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (20%).
DPHE (2022). SFD Lite Report – Chandpur Municipality, Bangladesh. CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
English Politicians and local decision makers Practitioners SFD Report South Asia
Share this page on