Published in: 2022
Sanitation workers provide services that are essential to public health, but often under terrible and hazardous working conditions. WaterAid Tanzania’s assessment highlighted the challenges they face and put forward the following recommendations for the Government and sanitation stakeholders:
• Advocate for the recognition of sanitation workers.
• Develop the capacity of Local Government Authorities to register sanitation service providers.
• Develop a suitable model for the formalisation of sanitation worker groups.
• Promote innovative desludging equipment.
• Develop an appropriate economic support model for sanitation workers.
• Promote adherence to health and safety requirements.
• Develop national guidelines on safe sanitation services.
WaterAid (2022). Protecting the health, safety, and dignity of sanitation workers in Tanzania. WaterAid
English Import to Sanitation Workers Platform Sub-Saharan Africa
Share this page on