Published in: 2015
SNV Netherlands Development Organization
Repon, A. C., Faruq, O., Mamtaz, R.
Demonstration of Pro-poor Market-based Solutions for Faecal Sludge Management in Urban Areas of Southern Bangladesh is a project implemented by SNV Netherlands Development Organisation in partnership with Khulna City Corporation, Jhenaidah and Kushtia Paurashavas. Improvement of working conditions in sludge emptying and transportation is identified as a major area of action under the project. In line with this commitment, the initiative has been taken to develop a guideline on OHS for workers involved in FSM. This guideline aims to minimise the risks involved in septic tank/pit emptying, transportation and disposal of faecal sludge to the greatest extent possible. This document explores the issues involved in handling sludge, providing guidance for the protection of workers and the environment, and consolidates knowledge and best practice in this area with regard to limiting disease transmission and contamination.
1. To identify health- and environment-friendly FSM practices and procedures;
2. To consider legal and policy directions in OHS practices;
3. To promote a culture of safety amongst FSM stakeholders;
4. To enhance knowledge sharing on OHS-friendly FSM practices;
5. To promote institutional accountability on OHS in FSM;
6. To initiate local- and national-level advocacy to achieve institutionalisation of OHS guidelines for FSM;
7. To influence policy makers to adopt modern technology to enable health- and environment friendly FSM.
Repon, A. C., Faruq, O., Mamtaz, R. (2015). Occupational Safety and Health Guidelines for Faecal Sludge Management. SNV Netherlands Development Organization
Case studies in other formats East Asia & Pacific English Faecal sludge treatment processes Faeces or faecal sludge Guidelines and manuals Import to Sanitation Workers Platform
Share this page on