Published in: 2018
GFA Consulting Group GmbH, Hamburg, Germany
GFA Consulting Group GmbH
Location of library entry
The SFD graphic and report covers Kakuma town and Kakuma refugee camp. Kakuma town is located in northern Kenya, in the northwestern part of Turkana County approximately 123 km north of the county capital Lodwar and about 100 km east from the border to South Sudan. Kakuma town is located on the eastern bank of Tarach River. In 2018, the town population is around 58,878 inhabitants. Kakuma refugee camp is located on the northwestern bank of Tarach River and can be subdivided into four settlement sections, namely Kakuma I, II, III and IV. The population density within the camp is approximately 12,000 to 13,000 persons per km², which is about 1,000 times that of the host Turkana community (Sanghi et. al, 2016). In July 2018, Kakuma camp hosted 147,744 refugees (UNHCR, 2018).
There are no offsite sanitation systems in Kakuma. 94% of the population uses onsite sanitation systems, while the remaining 6% practices open defecation. 41% of the excreta is safely managed, with 59% being unsafely managed.
GFA Consulting Group GmbH (2018). SFD Report - Kakuma, Kenya - SFD Promotion Initiative. GFA Consulting Group GmbH, Hamburg, Germany
English SFD Report Sub-Saharan Africa
Share this page on