Published in: 2012
Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
Location of library entry
This project list of ecosan projects worldwide is regularly updated by the GIZ team. With "ecosan" we mean here sustainable sanitation / ecosan projects with reuse of some or all treated waste streams in principle being aimed for (even if reuse is not fully achieved, e.g. UDDTs where urine is infiltrated are also included in the list).
The purpose of having this project list is simply to have a rough overview of what is going on with ecosan projects worldwide. Here in this list, an emphasis is put on UDDTs (urine diversion dehydration toilets), as this is an interesting technology which is used in many countries by now.
Based on this list, we estimate the number of documented users of ecosan systems to be (very rough approximation only, includes sporadic users): 3.1 million
Amongst these are UDDT users (rough approximation only): 1.7 million
- We are providing two lists: a summary list and a detailed list (see download section below)
- This list includes only domestic sanitation projects.
- Projects not included in the list: small research projects; industrial wastewater reuse; projects where reuse is impossible.
- Number of users is only a rough estimate and may include one-time users (mobile urinals) or school pupils etc.
- If you spot any errors or omissions, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- This list was compiled by the GIZ team "sustainable sanitation - ecosan" with input from many people.
- Please treat all information with care and double-check any important numbers.
- Please send us information about your project that is not yet in the list but should be included.
The detailed list (provided as an Excel file) contains information on:
- Project title
- Type of project
- Project size and number of users
- Type of settlement (urban, rural, peri-urban, school, prison etc.)
- Waste streams
- Technologies applied
- Technical data and design criteria
For Mexico, the project descriptions of 11 projects are also available in Spanish. This information was requested from Mexican organisations and subsequently summarised by Sarar Transformation, Sc (see third download below).
The list was last updated: 18 January 2012
GIZ (2012). Worldwide list of 324 documented ecosan projects by various organisations. Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
Asia & Pacific English Europe, Caucasus & Central Asia Journalists Latin America & Caribbean Middle East & Nothern Africa Practitioners Recommended by SuSanA (other than SuSanA publications) Sub-Saharan Africa Urine diversion dehydration toilets (UDDTs)
Share this page on