Creating green jobs and local circular economies through scaling plastic recycling
FINILOOP aims to create green jobs and local circular economies through scaling plastic recycling. FINILOOP stands for Financial INclusion and Improved Livelihoods Out Of Plastics. The project focuses on increasing recycling rates in Asia and Africa by professionalizing the plastic recycling sector and improving segregation at source at household level. At the same time it will create green jobs and stimulate local circular economies.
To scale plastic waste management systems in Asia and Africa, FINILOOP uses a multi-stakeholder approach - the diamond approach - to involve the entire value chain in plastic. We do so by:
1. Raising awareness about plastic waste, its health effects and source separation at household level
2. Professionalising the plastic recycling sector and introducing innovations
3. Integrating local financial resources and developing new finance products
4. Setting up collaboration with governments and development partners to make scale happen
As a result we improve the quality of solid waste services and the quality of recycled plastic, while boosting plastic recycling rates. FINILOOP focuses on building local capacities in facilitating plastic recycling loans to improve recycling infrastructure, plastic recycling business development, and waste segregation at source.
FINILOOP programmes started in India and Senegal. In these countries our activities focus on building local capacities and enabling circular economies related to plastic recycling. All to ensure sustainability. Similarly, FINILOOP programme countries depend on each other for innovation and local knowledge sharing.
Image: FINILOOP © n/a
• Create green jobs
• Prevent marine litter
• Increase recycling rates
• Improve the socio-economic conditions of waste pickers in India
• Professionalize the plastic recycling sector/kickstart plastic recycling businesses
Partners we work with:
• Amref Flying Doctors
• FINISH Society
• RDO Trust
• Plastic Fantastic
• METRO Group
Asia & Pacific Europe, Caucasus & Central Asia Sub-Saharan Africa
WASTE advisers on urban environment and development
Share this page on