Published in: 2012
FSM2, Durban, South Africa
The Second International Faecal Sludge Management Conference was held in Durban from the 29th to the 31st of October 2012. 320 delegates from around the world shared ideas and discussed challenges and opportunities in on-site sanitation.
Below you find the Conference Report and the list of papers in alphabetical order by main author last name.
The available FSM2 conference presentations in PDF can be downloaded at http://www.susana.org/lang-en/conference-and-training-materials/materials-of-conferences/2012-conferences/243-2012-conferences/781-fsm2.
Videos from many of the presentations are also available here:
1. Baby, B., Vinod, M.S. - Research on self-sustained etoilet for households/urban-semi urban public/community sanitation.
2. Benoit, N. - Individuals' perception & the potential of urine as a fertilizer in Ethekwini, South Africa
3. Blackett, I., Giltner, S., Warsono,M., Darmawan, B., Tayler, K. - Development of urban septage management models in Indonesia
4. Bulbo, M., Yemaneh,A., Dalecha T., Amlaku, T., Krasteva K., Langergraber. G., Otterpohl, R. - Experiments on co-composting of human excreta with bio-char in Arba Minch, Ethiopia
5. Campos, L.C., Jain, V., Schuetze, M. - Stimulating nutrient and energy fluxes in non-networked sanitation systems
6. Cokar, M., Kallos, M.S., Gates, I.D. - The social aspects of designing an anaerobic microdigester with combined thermoelectric heat and power generation to convert human excreta to electricity, heat, methane and fertilizer
7. Dalecha, T., Assefa, E., Krasteva, K., Langergraber, G. - Experiments on struvite precipitation, application and economic analysis in Arba Minch, Ethiopia
8. de Silva Muñoz, L. - Conversion of faecal sludge to liquid fuels. Why and how could it work for small-scale application?
9. Dentel, S.K., Marzooghi, S., Shi, C.J. - Breathable membrane enclosures for faecal sludge stabilization
10. Deshusses, M.A, Colón, J., Forbis-Stokes, A.A., Ouksel, L.S. - Effective sewage sanitation eith low CO2 footprint
11. Foutch, G.L., Islam, Md.W., Podichetty, J.T., Johannes, A. H., Reichard., M. - Faecal sludge treatment by viscous heating
12. Foxon, K.M., Brouckaert, C.J., Wood, K. – Modelling the filling rate of pit latrines
13. Frenoux, C., Tsitsikalis, A. – Domestic private faecal sludge emptying services in Cambodia: between market efficiency and regulation needs for sustainable management
14. Garoma, T., Williams, C. – Enhanced anaerobic as a sanitation and energy recovery and technology
15. Gjefle, K. – The sustainable sanitation design concept for sludge treatment for cities in Africa
16. Goudel, C. L. – Investing in people: using human shit and urine as organic fertilizer, energy saving and economic development in vulnerable communities of Nepal
17. Han, A., Erbay, C., Ryu, Y., Yu, C., Choi, M. J., de Figueiredo, P. - Highly efficient microbe-mediated energy harvesting from wastewater through nanomaterial decorated three-dimensional multi-length scale porous matrix electrode
18. Harrison, J., Wilson, D. Towards sustainable pit latrine management through LaDePa
19. Ieropoulos, I., Greenman, J., Lewis, D., Knoop, O. – Energy production and sanitation improvement using microbial fuel cells
20. Ive, O., Wall, K., Bhagwan, J., Kirwan, F., Birkholtz, W., Lupuwana, N., Shaylor, N. – Demonstrating the effectiveness of social franchising principles: the emptying of household VIPs: a case study from Goven Mbeki village
21. Kellner, C., Graefnitz, T., Hoffmann, T. - Faecal sludge management
22. Koottatep, T., Surinkul, N., Panuvatvanich, A. – Accumulation rates of thickened-bottom sludge and its characteristics from water-based onsite sanitation systems in Thailand
23. Larsen, T. A., Gebauer, H., Gründl, H., Künzle, R., Lüthi, C., Messmer, U., Morgenroth, E., Ranner, B. – Diversion for safe sanitation: a new approach to sanitation in informal settlements
24. Magoya, J. T., Tenthani, C. – Direct mode-solar sludge drier
25. Maradufu, A., Obey, J.K., Sang, B.C., Khang’ati, J.E. – Using Senecio lyratipartitus as a hand disinfectant after anal ablution
26. Martin, S., Danso-Boateng, E., Holdich, R., Wheatley, A., Sohail, M., Gyi, D.- A toilet system based on hydrothermal carbonization
27. Mostert, V. Dealing with the rural sanitation backlog in the Chris Hani District Municipality, South Africa – a case study
28. Muanda, C., Tshibangu, R., Lagardien, A. – Management of faecal sludge from a mobile communal sanitation facility – a case study of the mobisan
29. Muxímpua, O., Hawkins, P. – Building blocks for effective faecal skudge management in peri-urban areas: the role of small-scale service providers in Maputo
30. Naidoo, V., Langergraber, G., Weissenbacher, N., Krasteva, K., Müllegger, E., Lechner, M., Casielles, R., Feki, F., Mutua, B.M., Dissa, A., Jaait, M., Dalecha, T. – The CLARA project – capacity linked water supply and sanitation improvement for Africa’s peri-urban and rural areas.
31. Nikiema, J., Cofie, O., Impraim, R., Drechsel, P. – Fortified excreta pellets for agriculture
32. Opel, A. – Challenge critical: absence of faecal sludge management shatters the gains of improved sanitation coverage in Bangladesh
33. Pradhan, S.K., Amoah, P., Piya, R.C., Heinonen-Tanski, H. – Urine fertilizer for vegetable production – a case study in Nepal and Ghana
34. Preneta, N., Kramer, S., Magloire, B, Noel, J.M. – Thermophilic co-composting of human wastes in Haiti
35. Purves, I.J., Gardiner, V. – Culturally and financially sustainable applications of Loowatt technology in Antananarivo, Madagascar – early feedback
36. Radford, J. T. – Physical characterisation of pit-latrine sludge
37. Robbins, D., Strande, L., Doczi, J. – Lessons learned in faecal-sludge management: experiences from Philippines
38. Sugden, S. – Reflections on business models and technology designs for pit emptying services
39. Summers, S., Linden, K.G., Weimer, A., Lewandowski, A., Klees, R., Mahoney, R., Fisher, R., Yacob, T., Kearns, J., Beck, S., Oversby, C. – Solar-driven thermal toilet with biochar production
40. Liu, Z., Ruan, Z., Xiao, Y., Yu, Y., Tang, Y. T., Liu, Y., Liao, W. – Microbial conversion of sewage sludge for advanced fuel production
41. Chinedu, U. O., Ocholi, M., Kambou, K., Dissa, A., Spooner, K., Kere, R., Makaya, J., Williams, A.-O., Doucoure, I. – Ethics and faecal-sludge management in Africa
42. von Herzen, Brian – Development of a solid waste to biochar reactor
43. Wall, K., Ive, O., Bhagwan, J., Kirwan, F. – Social franchising principles do work: the businesss approach to removal and disposal of faecal – from pilot to scale
44. Yofe, J.-M., Chinedu, U. O., Henry, L., Wethe, J., Djagoun, G., Doucoure, I., Ali, M. Impact of prices and tariffs on fecal sludge management in Africa
Various authors (2012). FSM2 Conference - Durban, South Africa. FSM2, Durban, South Africa
On 1 September we relaunched our website, using a new menu concept to improve the user experience. However, some functions are not working yet but we are working on those now. If you have any comments or suggestions please post them here on the SuSanA discussion forum. Thank you.