International NGO focused on water, sanitation and hygiene in low-income countries
High Impact WASH Program
Construction of village water supplies, hygiene promotion at village and school level, and implementation of CLTS. Advocacy activities at the district level.
Duration: 2015 - 2017
1. Hygiene promotion in 7 villages and 4 schools.
2. Installation of gravity flow schemes.
3. Implementation of CLTS.
4. Mass celebrations on global WASH days including Global Handwashing Day, World Water Day, World Toilet Day, World Breastfeeding Week, International Day of the African Child […]
WASH in Schools
Development and demonstration of a comprehensive WASH in schools model at secondary schools in Bangladesh. Promotion of an inclusive WASH learning environment for girl students at secondary schools in 2 upazilas.
Duration: 2017 - 2020
1. 12 Improved toilets installed at schools.
2. 24 existing school toilets renovated to become inclusive sanitation facilities.
2. 36 Handwashing facilities installed at schools.
3. 78 Hygiene Promotion campaigns organised at schools.
4. 390 Menstrual hygiene management sessions organised […]
Tokke Kutaye Woreda and Babich Town WASH Project
Improving access to WASH facilities in communities, schools and health facilities. Capacity building of the government woreda and town WASH teams for sustainability and scaling up of services.
Duration: 2015 - 2018
1. Construction of gender segregated and inclusive latrines for Babich health centre.
2. Construction of gender segregated and inclusive latrines at five schools.
3. Establishment of WASH Centres (each including a public toilet, shower and a sanitation materials production and selling point) […]
Using EcoSan toilets for enhanced health in Bugesera District, Rwanda
This project pilots EcoSan toilets in 2 communal villages. These are ‘model villages’ from which the technology will be promoted for replication. The compost is used as fertiliser in order to improve agricultural production.
Duration: 2016 - 2019
1. Train local technicians in the building and maintenance of Ecosan toilets.
2. Conduct the community process of identifying initial beneficiaries.
3. Train local technicians in hygiene promotion.
4. Identify 113 households in Bugesera to build Ecosan toilets and form part of 'model […]
Improving Public Toilets to Serve Human Dignity and better Public Health
Community toilets in the cities of Dhaka and Chittagong are showing serious signs of negligence and are not well managed. This innovative project is promoting a new era of public-private partnership and establishing a sustainable management model.
Project year: 2017 - 2017
1. Construction of 1 toilet blockwith an inclusive design and handwashing facilities.
2. Renovation of 3 toilet blocks incorporate an inclusive design and handwashing facilities.
2. 12 hygiene behaviour awareness campaigns implemented amongst the toilet users and care takers.
3. 2 […]
FSM - Small Town Project
A municipality-led approach to mitigate the FSM challenges of the town. Research and technology development on the treatment and re-use of human and solid waste as an organic co-composting products. Creation of business opportunities.
Duration: 2017 - 2020
Promotion of sustainable and safe collection and transportation of human and municipal waste. Environmentally-friendly faecal sludge treatment technology to convert municipal waste to resources will be scaled up. The use of organic agricultural inputs (co-compost) will be promoted and organic […]
20 Towns Capacity Development Project
Increasing the efficiency, effectiveness and relevance of WaSH service provision in twenty towns through strengthening the capacity of towns’ Utilities and Municipalities by implementing a model capacity development project.
Duration: 2014 - 2019
The main approaches are Partnership and Experience sharing, learning and networking within the nation and outside Ethiopia. Activities include:
- Standardization of manuals and guidelines
- Refresher training on Asset Management
- Support citizen engagement
- Refresher training on […]
Achieving universal access to adequate, sustainable and equitable sanitation services.
This project aims to identify which service delivery model to apply where and at what scale for universal access to sanitation in an urban location. A Babati town-wide sanitation and hygiene adaptive master plan will be developed.
Duration: 2016 - 2018
A cross-sectional study using both qualitative and quantitative methods will be applied to understand: 1) what motivates and drives people (households) to invest in and improve sanitation and hygiene practices in an urban context; 2) what drives institutions (government, donors, NGOs, authorities), […]
Building Entrepreneurship for Water/Liquid/Solid Waste Management in Slums of Dar es Salaam
Developing water, sludge and solid waste services in Temeke municipality through building entrepreneurship skills of service providers, developing appropriate technologies and setting up financing mechanisms to enable the enterprises to be profitable.
Duration: 2015 - 2018
Activities relevant to sanitation (Objective 2):
Conduct community awareness on the importance of faecal sludge management in the 3 wards.
Establish 3 waste enterprises with select community members
Provide enterprises with soft loans to be returned by the project end (3 years) at the rate of […]
Ensuring girls’ rights through school-based WASH and improved menstrual hygiene management in Pakistan and Nepal
Supporting 38,028 school children and teachers gain access to inclusive WASH services, enhancing gender equality in 110 schools in Nepal and Pakistan.
Duration: 2015 - 2018
WaterAid will support 38,028 school children and teachers gain access to inclusive water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services, enhancing gender equality in 110 schools in Nepal and Pakistan.
Women and Girls at school and 9,500 members of the community will be empowered to manage menstruation […]
WaterAid’s four-year advocacy priority (2015-2019) focused on
improving the health and nutrition of newborn babies and children. We are doing this by
advocating for access to water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion to be integrated into
health policy and delivery locally, nationally and […]
Campaigning for sanitation in Ghana, India, West Africa and the US
To elevate sanitation as a national, regional and global political priority and strengthen accountability for related political and financial commitments at all levels, with a focus on West Africa, Ghana, India, and the US
Duration: 2013 - 2019
Approaches to promoting behaviour change around handwashing with soap
This paper seeks to improve understanding of approaches used to promote handwashing with soap, with a view to offering practical suggestions when selecting approaches.